Wednesday, December 15, 2010

You can thank me later

 These are the best short-breadish cookies you will ever eat.  They melt in your mouth, hence the name meltaways.  So fast to make, so yummy.  I thought I would share the goodness.
So here is the dough after all the ingredients have been added.  I add all at once, then mix.
 When you touch the dough, you should be able to make walnut size balls in your palm.  If it is sticky, add a bit more flour.
 They don't spread out too much so you can really put them close together.
 Press them down with a fork before you bake them. 
 The recipe calls for 10-12 minutes, I always go 12.
The bottom should look like this.
 
 Now, this cream cheese frosting is the Yang to the meltaway's Ying.  Don't skimp and not make it.  Trust me.
I will tell you however that one batch of meltaways doesn't make a ton of cookies.  So don't make a ton of frosting unless you are also making rolled sugar cookies because you will have a ton left over.  Which you could always slather onto graham crackers, but 1/2 the frosting recipe.
 Then you shove the whole cookie in your mouth and enjoy!
 This is plain frosting
 Or, if you are dealing with kids who want to help, I put them in bottles so they can squeeze out the colors.  Kids and knives and frosting never work well.
*Sophie got an ice burn the last time we went sledding, so I wanted to get that in there.

That way you can decorate them a little nicer.
 She chose the 'shove-the-whole-cookie-in-your-mouth' method.
 The poofy skirt's Sunday debut.
 The pictures don't catch it well, but this skirt is so poofy and full and fun.

 She received many compliments, but I think it was mostly because of these adorable tights. I bough them a few years ago, knowing there would be a perfect outfit for them.
 The best shot of both of them.  Eh....He wasn't taking to kindly to her death grip around his neck.
Try the meltaways.  Really.  And I have another skirt I made for Sophie coming up.  I used an uncommon material, and I LOVE IT. 

No comments: