Saturday, February 21, 2009

She said He said

Chris and I are having our first disagreement as a married couple...lol. He came out of the computer room and said, "Yep, the computer says Sophie is a spoiled brat." What he found was the list below, and he "claims" that our dear Sophie fits all of these ten bratty items. Of course, I defended her without even seeing the list because I attribute much of her behavior to her personality.


10 Signs Your Children Are Brats:

1. They resort to crying or yelling when they want something. SOMETIMES

2. They throw themselves on floor and won't get up. SOMETIMES, INFREQUENTLY WHEN SHE IS TIRED

3. They constantly throw tantrums or even hit you when you punish them. RARELY HITS WHEN PUNISHED, JUST HITS TO PLAY. TANTRUMS...SEE ABOVE

4. They ignore you when you ask a question. LATELY, THIS HAPPENS A LOT


5. They are rude to other adults and even to other children. NO

6. They refuse to share toys or treats with other children. AREN'T ALL TWO YEAR OLD RELUCTANT TO SHARE. THEY LOVE HER IN NURSERY AND THAT IS THE MECA OF SHARING.

7. They are show-offs and are constantly trying to one-up their peers to be the
center of attention. CAN'T SAY YES TO THIS

8. They always want whatever everyone else has. Once they have it, they want something new. AGAIN, ISN'T THIS SOMEWHAT NORMAL? MAYBE I AM JUST OUT OF THE LOOP.

9. They keep a messy room and never help out around the house despite your pleas for them to do so. SHE IS ACTUALLY REALLY GOOD AT HELPING CLEAN UP.

10. They refuse to go to bed. NAPTIME IS HELL, BUT NIGHT TIME IS NOT BAD.

What to Do if Your Children Are Brats:

* Reward good behavior and punish bad behavior.
* If your children yell when they want something, don't give it to them and take away something they like.
* If they won't get off the floor during a tantrum, pick them up and put them in their room until they calm down and apologize.
* If they ignore you when you tell them to do something, punish them immediately. Put them in a corner and don't let them out until they apologize.
* If they won't share, take away the toy or treat.
* Don't buy them whatever they want. Make them earn things.
* If they keep a messy room, don't let them out until it's clean.
* Enforce bedtimes. Continually put them back into their beds. After a while, they'll stop getting out. You must show there is no other option.
* Compliment your children profusely and give them rewards when they do the right thing.


Anyway, I always wonder how much is personality and how much is bratty? Chris says we 'dropped the ball' discipline wise and that is why she is like she is, but I can't say I completely agree. I see kids at church who NEVER leave their parents side and sit on laps for hours. Sophie has NEVER done this. I would love your opinion on this nature/nurture subject. Is my dear Sophie a brat:(((((

6 comments:

Krause Crew said...

This is my 3 1/2 year old daughter. :( They must of done the research at my house. My husband and I had the same conversation about discipline just this morning. Parenting is the hardest thing to do and I hope that I can do better. I don't want a brat for a kid, but she is kind of being that way lately. Can I hope it is a phase?

Kao said...

I think there's a reason they call it the terrible twos and threes. It was a fight to have Kaiya take naps at 2. I finally gave up and put her down for bed earlier. It was so much better for both of us. Although with a newborn, I did miss my naps but she got her own mommy and me time which she LOVED.

Jennifer said...

What was the age range on that list anyway? By what you say she is just acting her age and you can't have possibly "dropped the ball" she is only 2. So NO my niece is not a brat!!

The Risdons said...

Your dear Sophie is 2! That quiz could also be tiled Is Your Child a 2 Year Old. I think it's a combo of nature and nurture. Emmy has been a fireball from the day she was born (Nature). All I can do is teach her how to funnel some of that feistiness into worthwhile causes (nurture).

Phoebe said...

I try not to take any parenting advice from the internet.
Sounds to me like Sophie is acting like a two year old. Hpw appropriate!

Jessica said...

You're the mommy and you know Soph better than anyone since it is you who spends 24/7 with her. You know what her motivations and intentions are. What might look a certain way to someone that is not you doesn't matter! Keep sticking up for her!