So, you know when you go somewhere on vacation, or somewhere new and you are introduced to something you never knew about? Or something you never knew you could love so much? It has happened to me.
At my parents house in Idaho during Christmas, I was introduced to Masterpiece Theater. England, accents, traditions, proper language, values, friendships, romance, modesty, etc. Don't even get me started on the cottages, clothes, and scenery.
Now, some of you wouldn't really care to watch a storyline about 1840's England, but I do. I just finished a series called 'Cranford' with Judi Dentch (Isn't she a Dame?) So good, so funny and so well written.
Last night I finished up Sense and Sensibility. So great for me because I am not much of a reader. I wish I were, but I read to fall asleep. Too many other hobbies and priorities I guess. So now, if I am ever engaged in a conversation about Jane Austen I might be able to add my 2 cents. Maybe even 3 cents.
Thank you PBS.
5 days ago






4 comments:
I die at all of that good English stuff.
The humor is great :) You should youtube some of the old 70's shows like 'Are You Being Served?' and 'Keeping Up Appearances' - they are fantastic! British comedy is fantastic. I'm a Janeite - love Masterpiece Theatre. Yeah, she's a Dame. Happy watching!
Last year I watched Tess of the D'ubervilles and I loved it-even though it is the saddest story. PBS always comes through.
The funniest british comedy - although not set in that same era (more like the 80's) is Absolutely Fabulous. I would roll off the couch watching it! I love to read, as you know and many of those movies really capture the feel of the books. I love them too;0)
Post a Comment