Friday, July 31, 2009

Girls camp Hyalite Canyon

Girls Camp 2009
Belgrade 1st ward
Hyalite Canyon

Let's just say that I am glad that I am not stake girl camp director. She did a great job again, and the girls had a great time. The camp ran from Tues. morning until Thursday night and I went up Wednesday to hang with my girls. We had 11 girls go, (2 of whom were non-member girls,) and lots of leaders

The Hyalite youth camp is just a little further up the road from this picture. The 4th year girls went on an overnight hike Monday to Tuesday and got rained on, but the rest of the week was beautiful.


They get to stay in cabins and we had the bigger, newer cabin this year. Here we are all together Wednesday night. Our ward has a really good group of girls who are all very nice, caring and funny. I was sad I had to leave Wednesday night, but Gunner needed me home.

Here are the 1st year girls coming out of the craft cabin. They made really cute tote bags. I made on Thursday when I was home and I will have to post a picture later because the camera is dead.

Each ward was in charge of a skit. We got to perform last and it was a blast. We had to dress up like dorks and bring a man on a stick. Naturally, I brought my friend Jude Law along:)


Here is the group just before performance time.
My cute Beehives. So sweet.

The girls did all of their own cooking for each meal in dutch ovens. They learn to make bread, bake rolls, pies and all sorts of meals. What a great idea!


And, in addition to learning how to do CPR, sanitation, fire building, cooking, etc, they get to shoot rifles. The girls love this section.

2 comments:

Jessica said...

See, I never got to go to girls' camp. If I had then maybe I'd know how to bake rolls, and make bread, pies and meals too!

Phoebe said...

Great dutch oven idea. I'll have to pass that one along!
I went up to camp this year, too, and it was so fun, but it also made me miss the days of actually camping in tents with funny Arcadia stake girls.
Did you have to show them any of your lashing skills? I really wish I had paid more attention to that part of certification:)