Thursday, April 1, 2010

California Trip

This is a lengthy post. 80 pictures to be exact. But before we get to the trip here is Sophie in her animal print skirt.

And me and bubs. In California, I got that he looks like Chris. In Montana, I get that he looks like me. I don't know.

Tues, the 23rd, we drove to Billings, hung out and our plane left at 6:30. Billings is a 2 hr drive from Bozeman. The plane ride was 2 hrs. It was OK. Not horrible, but it became dark halfway through the flight, and Sophie's DVD battery died after one hour. He did OK, and only got fussy when we pulled up to the gate and then we sat there for 20 minutes. But Cory, Denise, Madison, Jessica and Blake were there waiting for us at LAX. Let the good times begin. We stayed at the wonderful Terrill's home and had a blast with them.

Back on the old 210.

In their backyard, they had an orange tree and Sophie thought it was the coolest thing ever.

Wednesday, we visited Kallen in La Verne and then came back to Baraba's for a little more sun.

Then Ashely came up from HB and we went to the Arboretum. Lovely day. Love that pink tree.
Auntie Oddie and Sophie.

Peacocks in the bushes.

Stately bird in the tree.

My FAVORITE shot. That gorgeous blue. Sophie didn't really care about the peacocks of course. But I love them.

She did however love feeding the turtles and cat fish. Those fish gross me out, but she fed 'em like half a loaf of bread. I think that is a turtle in the water.



At the waterfall. Both kids were kind of done by this point because it was a warm day, and we had been out since 9 in the morning, and it was about 4 in the afternoon.

I don't know what these are called, but I liked them.

These don't need a description.



Puttin' on a show for the old ladies.

On our way out.

We headed next to Emily's for our photo session, but we picked up Jax (left) and Evan (right), Tricia's kids, and got some Slurpies. YUMMY. Thank you 7-11.

Sophie's dreams came true when we got home that night, because Harry (or Pa pa) was juicing oranges from their tree. Sophie jumped right in and hasn't stopped talking about making orange juice since.



Thursday we went to Malibu H.S. to see some old co-workers and then headed off to the Zuma beach. Mike Mulligan (left) and Rich Lawson (Right) were the coolest guys to work with. It was great to see them again.

Gunner trying to look cool.

Out of the H.S. parking lot, I saw this and had to capture it. It is the essence of Malibu.

I don't think I ever took pictures of the school when I worked there. But I am told they are renovating the front so it won't look like this for long, but good for what I remember.


Just down the hill from the H.S. is Zuma Beach. It was a bit overcast, but still nice. Here is Sophie taking her first steps in the sand.

She went straight to the water and when she realized that the water moved, she wasn't having anymore of that.


Gunner has oreo lips.




That funny seagull sat there for a good 10 minutes. We only stayed about 20 minutes because Bubs was tired and wouldn't touch the sand, and I wanted to get back to Monrovia before I hit too much traffic.

We went straight to Tricia's to see my parents who had just arrived and Manuel's CHP buddies showed up, so Evan and Sophie got to ride in the car.




Friday Morning was the rehearsal for the wedding. I went because everyone else was going. The wedding was held at the Mission Inn in Riverside. It was Gorgeous. Perfect weather and just rad. This is the door to the chapel.



From Left to Right, Sophie, Jessica, Blake and Madison. Cory's kids LOVED my kids and Sophie Loved the twins. She kept saying, they are just like me! Blake LOVED Gunner. It was a match made in heaven.


The rehearsal lunch followed and it was at a restaurant called Phood on Main. Very good food. My siblings Ashley, Cory, Doug and Tricia.

Of course there were very funny moments, which is very typical when we all get together.

Cory, Dad, and Doug

Dad, Cory, Mom

Oddie and Tricia


Coco and Blake

Blake is so handsome.


Wedding day was blustery, but still great weather.


Me and Sophie, who still hates pictures.

She took it.

Sallee and Doug. Doug gave a great toast and had us all in tears. He was the best man.

Me and Coco. So glad I could be there.

Blake is 9 and so dang cute.

Sunday afternoon I went to see Heather, and Molly and Emma. Sophie and I got in the pool, and I visited with Heather while Sophie jumped off the edge to me. She loved the pool, even though the water was chilly. Molly took some pictures and I will post those soon. After than, we went back to Tricia's to hang out.

Evan and Sophie blew some serious bubbles.



Monday Afternoon was Tricia's ceremony for her Captain's pinning. Here are Sophie and Evan hugging. It took place inside one of the fire stations.


Here she is being honored.





Tricia and Manuel. It was very cute in Tricia's speech. She said she wanted her kids to know that they can do anything they wanted, but that she hoped her kids would like firetrucks better than police cars. Cute.


Sophie sat in the firetruck for 20 minutes and wouldn't come down.

All of us.

Tues Morning we went to Kidspace by the Rose Bowl and spent the morning there. It was a little chilly and almost raining, so the water stations were not quite as appealing, but we still had a blast.

Sophie took this picture at LAX. We had to have someone hand check our DVD player and backpack during security. Nice.

The flight back seemed much faster, Gunner fell asleep and Chris was able to walk right up to the gate and help us off.


It was the best trip. The kids did well for the most part and we only had one major traffic jam, the morning we left. All in all, we really had a great time and hope to do it soon. As soon as we landed, Sophie looked at me and said, "I want to go back to Barbara's and play tether ball!" I think we had mid 70 degree weather there, and we drove home in a snow storm! Awesome. I like the snow though, so it was great.

Chris and I both love Montana, and we left California for many reasons, but being back home for this last week made me think of how great it would be to be back. But that is what vacations are for right!!! So, till next time:)

6 comments:

Sabby said...

Looks like you had a great time! And you even went to my hometown, who got married? Congrats to your sister that is awesome! Miss ya, hope all is well!

Jennifer said...

It all sounds like so much fun, we are counting down the days till we come up!

Laura said...

I'm so glad you got to go. It was fun to see the pics of you and your sibs...I think I met most of them but it's been YEARS. You are a good looking bunch.

Phoebe said...

Every time I go home I thing, "Why did I ever leave?"
I am glad you were able to stay at my parents. My mom said it was fun to have you there. Next time we'll have to coordinate trips so we can see each other!

Phoebe said...

PS I didn't realize Doug was turning into a Silver Fox. I love it!

dana said...

what a fun trip!
that Mission is just gorgeous!

Oh and cool refashions you made in the earlier post. LOVE those finds!