Monday, December 21, 2009

Monsters

A few days ago, Sophie said she had monsters in her room. I really hoped monsters would never be a problem. She has a few friends, but we don't really visit anyone outside of church. Right now, it is just easier with Sleep schedules, and that means I don't have to get ready:) So, I don't know where she even gained knowledge of monsters. She doesn't scream and cry about them, but she just doesn't want to sleep in her own bed.

So, we start her out in her bed. Then she usually comes out to ask if she can come in our bed, or she sneaks into our room alone. We let her crawl into our bed and fall asleep, then we move her when we go to bed. She falls asleep almost instantly most nights, and sleeps like a champ. I have a strict rule when they are babies that they sleep in their own cribs, they learn to self sooth, and they can cry themselves to sleep. It tires them out, and allows us to have the evening to ourselves. It has worked well for us. BUT, I have to admit that I love when Sophie sneaks in and crawls into bed. Snuggling her warm little body gives me another opportunity to remember how blessed I am to have two healthy, beautiful, funny kids. Plus, it makes me feel special that she thinks mom and dad's bed is safe.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sophie loves sneaking food. She loves all things sugar, candy and sweets. Started with Halloween and her birthday. I have moved all the candy, or sent it with Chris to work. She asks to bake a cake almost every day. So, if I am with Gunner in another room, or away from her, she will move the stool, or a chair, or her little table into the kitchen and start rummaging around. I can hear the commotion, so I run in and catch her in the act. She gets down quickly and says, " I'm not sneakin' anything momma." This is before I have even said anything. She especially loves chocolate chips and has opened many bags. Then she says, "These chocolate chips are good in my tummy (as she is rubbing her tummy) and make me healthy, big and strong!"

Gunner is still not walking. Still little with regards to the growth charts. Likes to play with Sophie's tea set plates, and chews on his favorite little pink spoon. It's not his fault there is a lot of girl stuff around. Sophie is as tall as 4 1/2 year olds, loves to wrestle, play rough and is sporty. We'll just have to wait and see how it all turns out:)

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Get her a spray bottle and tell het its monster spray and all the monsters will stay away or a flashlight that scares the monsters away. Been there! I really was there was a training book for me so that I could make myself let Olivia cry it out, I'm just a big wimp for all my complaining about her sleeping in our bed.

Golfersfamily said...

Monsters don't live in Montana do they? They don't usually like cold places at all...;) My boys were really late walkers - Dalton was almost 18 months old and then he just stood up and walked across the room - no wobbling steps. We think he was biding his time and studying how to do it well. Sweeties!