Friday, February 5, 2010

Why do I hate cooking?

I am very ready for this week to be over. Chris was gone Mon-Wed until at least 8 for school stuff. He is gone in the mornings by 5:35 so the days are long to begin with. Then we met with Dave & Crystal for dinner at 6:00 in town. They made Swedish Meatballs with noodles, sauce and Asparagus. I haven't eaten so much in a long time. This is probably just me, but I eat so much more when some one else cooks. I can do all things domestic, but I really don't enjoy cooking. I clean, bake, sew, craft, exercise, blog, etc. It's just not in me. I like food. I would be happy each night with some toast, a sandwich or soup...out of a can. I actually dread trying to figure out what to make for dinner. I can get away with it now, because Chris is easy (BLESS YOUR HEART) and the kids are pretty easy too. 4:30-6:00 ish is the witching hour and I just can't get myself motivated in the kitchen. It doesn't help that Gunner will pull on my pants until they fall on the ground when I am in the kitchen. So, I have to pick him up, thus doubling my time trying to cook. I wouldn't even want to trade any of my other skills for this skill. I see recipes that look good, but it calls for 800 ingredients, 1 million spices, and to much prep time. Aggggghhhh. I wish I had a personal chef.

I got a teeny tiny bit inspired when I watched Julie and Julia, but that went away when the movie ended. Oh well.

4 comments:

Laura said...

I like your new blog look!

I think figuring out what to make is the hardest part for me. Is it better if you put stuff in the crock pot? Cause I'm the same way...once it's almost dinner time I can't think of anything-- I'm tired, the kids are all home and I'm trying to get everyone through homework. 10 a.m. is my best time to get dinner ready :P

Phoebe said...

I am with Laura-I finally had to start making a menu, shopping only one time a week and doing a lot of the prep in the morning or using the Crockpot.
You will probably find, too, that as your kids get older, you will start getting into more of a dinner routine.

dana said...

Sometimes I find that I can only be creative in so many outlets. If I've done a lot of sewing that day, I have the hardest time trying to make an interesting dinner. So you can just blame it on the loads of creativity that you're exerting elsewhere!

And yea, I'm content with toast. Sometimes just a bowl of cereal.

Jennifer said...

You know if Bella didn't say she loved everything I made I probably wouldn't cook either, but they all can be sated with a pot of Ramen-go figure!