
I was at church, getting ready for YW's and a RS
counselor came in and said I could get 20 lbs of peaches for $20, (or plums, tomatoes, etc.) then looked at me and made me decide right there and then. I panicked because my YW were in the room and I was conducting and didn't want to pass up a good deal, but knew what kind of work would go into 20 lbs of peaches. Well, as you can tell I signed up for them, they were there a week later from Oregon, I think, and they were RIPE. I was hoping I would have time to put it off, but nope. I picked up my box on Monday and set off on yet another canning adventure on Tuesday. Peaches are yummy, but for those of you who are looking into canning for the first time, they take a while because you have to pit them and skin them. Well, I didn't want to make more jam because I did that a month ago, and one can only have so much peach jam. So I did three different things. First, in the afternoon, while Sophie slept, I made up three quarts to freeze. I can use them in cobbler or pies later, or just to eat. I got these freezer containers and they are awesome. There are four total. But I didn't want all frozen stuff, because if electricity goes out, 20 lbs of frozen peaches isn't going to help out***These pictures are all jacked up, sorry about that.*** Then later than night, after work and Sophie was in bed, I canned peach quarters that can sit on the shelf for years. This morning, I used the last few pounds and made some peach puree for our baby boy coming soon. Glad it is all over, and I am glad I did it, but it is quite the chore.












3 comments:
I have every intention to can, but due to my limited kitchen & storage space, (oh yeah - and a toddler nipping at my heels) I keep putting it off. That looks like a lot of work to me, and I'm not even pregnant. You are amazing to me. And a cute prego lady!
You can do it Chels. Strawberries are easier. Maybe next summer. We need to meet up somewhere next summer too, it has been way too long.
You look fabulous!
Post a Comment